Volunteer at the Library
Friends of the Library volunteers support the library through fundraising and advocacy. Volunteers are needed for book sales, special projects, and programs. Friends of the Library members are only contacted to help with projects if they have indicated an interest in volunteering.
To join the Friends of the Library, fill out a Membership form (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) and return it with your dues to any York County Library branch location. Membership forms are also available at all branches of the York County Library or by calling (803) 981-5837. Please see the Friends of the Library page for more details.
Friendsí Workroom Volunteer
Job description: Sorting and boxing books for book sales in Friendsí workroom at the York County Library in Rock Hill.
- Must attend a training session before beginning work
- Must be able to come on regular basis several hours per month.
- Ability to lift light loads, bend and stoop, when sorting books onto shelves.
Quarterly Book Sales Staff
Set up and clean up for book sales.
Job description: Cashiers and general book sale helpers to work during book sale hours, additional volunteers for unpacking books and setting up prior to the sale and to pack up leftover books at end of sale and general clean up.
Online Book Sales
Help with effort to sell more valuable books online
Job description: variety of tasks to help with online sales
- Determine value of books for online sales by checking Internet sites
- List items for sale on appropriate websites
- Customer service- monitor sale items and answer questions
- Package items that sell and arrange for shipping
- Experience with computers & the Internet necessary for some parts of this committee
Other Short Term Opportunities
- Help to set up and work at meetings (annual meeting in December & Volunteer Appreciation)
- Helping to prepare books and setting up for holiday sale
- Addressing envelopes and helping with mailings
- Providing cookies and other refreshments for events and meetings