The York County Library collects local history resources about York County, South Carolina and the Catawba Indians.
Local history resources are located in the Nan Weller Carson Local History area on the second floor of the York County Library Main Branch in Rock Hill. Check the Online Catalog for information about specific subjects and titles of books contained in the Local History area. These materials are not available for checkout or interlibrary loan.
Resources Available in the Local History area
- Indexes of 1790 - 1870 census
- Microfilm of 1790 - 1930 census
- Soundex* microfilm of 1880 and 1900 - 1930 census
- Soundex* reference guide
- Family histories (published and manuscripts)
- Church, cemetery, land, military, will, and estate records of York County residents
- Index of tomb information for some area church and family cemeteries
- Marriage and death notices (indexed from local newspapers, 1823 - 1918)
- Local newspapers on microfilm
- Rock Hill city and telephone directories
- Catawba Indian Nation information
*Soundex is a coded surname (last name) index based on the way a surname sounds rather than the way it is spelled. The soundex coding system was developed so that you can find a surname even though it may have been recorded under various spellings. Soundex Reference Guide
Local History Room Obituary Sources Finding Aid
The Local History Room Obituary Sources Finding Aid is intended to guide patrons seeding obituary, death notice, and brief biographical sketch sources pertaining to York County. It is not a comprehensive listing of all of the genealogical sources available for access and use in the Local History Room. There are several published and unpublished local, state, and regional resources available that family histories, land, military service (pension), will, map (Sanborn) and estate records of York County residents (e.g. - court records) useful for genealogical purposes.